Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple relations between two tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

nande123

Technical User
Aug 24, 2010
SE
Hi,

I'm new to Access and Databases in general so please have patiance.

Have linked Access with Outlook and our Global Address Book and I now want to build relationship with this table and another table called Exemptions.

The problem is that I need two fields (Requestor and Approver)in Exemptions to be related to the Global Address table. Is this possible or do I need to create two other tables between the global address book table and the exemption table?

Regards,

It is possible. You can use the relationship window to drag each field to create the relationship. It is not uncommon to want a relationship built on more than one field (column).

Thanks,

A related problem (not sure if I should create a new post) is that it is running so slow and I'm not sure if my Global Address Book it to big for Access to manage or if I can make it run fatster.

My Global Address Book contains about ~70.000 entries so I created a query which filter it down to about ~20.000 rows.

Then I'm pointing Approver field in the Exemption table to this query using a combo list. Access is "Not Responsing" every time I try to pick something from the list.

Is there a better way I can manage this or is it just too much data for Access?

Regards,

Read the link you posted but think that is over my head so I changed it to a copy insted of a link to Outlook and it is running much smoother.

Regarding having two links between Employee table (the new copy from Outlook) and my Exemption table it now looks like this

Employee
EmployeeID (Yes (No Duplicates))
EmployeeName

Exemption
ExemptionID (Yes (Duplicates OK))
RequestorID (Yes (Duplicates OK))
ApproverID

And both RequestorID and ApproverID have relations with EmployeeID.

For some reason it won't accept "Enforce Referantial Integrity" is that because I now have to relations between the same tables?

regards,

Went back and checked my relations and now I see it automatically created a second employee table and I can now check this "Enforce Referantial Integrity".

Is this second employee table just a virtual table because I can't see it in the list of all tables on the left side of access?

Regards,

This is solved now thanks to the help for you guys!!!

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back