Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Recordsets with Oracle DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneProgrammer

Programmer
Jan 17, 2001
US
Is it possible to use multiple recordsets with an Oracle Database? If your connecting to SQL Server or mySQL you can do somthing like this:
Code:
private sub Example

Dim sSQL
Dim oRS
Dim oCON

set oCON=server.createobject("ADODB.Connection")
oCON.Open ("SOME_CONNECTION_INFO")

sSQL = "Select * from Table1"
sSQL = sSQL & ";Select * from Table2"
sSQL = sSQL & ";Select * from Table3"

set oRS=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
oRS.Open sSQL, oCON

if not oRS.eof then
  'Do Some Calculations on the Data from Table1
end if

set oRS = oRS.NextRecordset

if not oRS.eof then
  'Do Some Calculations on the Data from Table2
end if

set oRS = oRS.Nextrecordset

if not oRS.eof then
  'Do Some Calculations on the Data from Table3
end if

oRS.Close
oCON.Close
set oRS = Nothing
set oCON = Nothing

End Sub
This method reduces the number of recordsets that you create and the number of trips your program makes to the database. When I try to do this from VB or an ASP page to an Oracle 8i Database I get the following error:
ORA-00911: invalid character
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can have multiple recordsets with Oracle, although I don't know what is causing your error.

Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to have more than one recordset.

Have you actually used it. I'd like an example if possible. Me error is caused by the ";" in the sql statement. When I take out the semicolon the error changes. It then tells me that me sql statement isn't terminated correctly. It seems like the semicolon isn't getting parsed correctly.

Sorry, I haven't used it. I was looking through my book "Visual Basic Oracle 8", when I came across this statement: "Next Recordset: Clears the current Recordset object and returns the next Recordset by advancing to the next in a series of commands."

Like I said, I was just trying to let you know that it is possible so you would know that you could have multiple recordsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back