Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MULTIPLE RECORD in one row

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2003
AU
Hi. Can someone show me how to concatenate multiple record into one row. Currently the query below returns something like:

3478|C
3478|A
3490|A
3490|B
3490|C

But I want it to return like this:

3478|C, A
3490|A, B, C

How do I do it?

SELECT
CUST_ID,
max(case when QUESTION_NUM = 'Q10' then ANSWER_DESC end) 'Q10'

FROM
(SELECT
[MS_NEWS].[dbo].[SURVEY_RESPONSE].R_ID AS CUST_ID, [MS_NEWS].[dbo].[SURVEY_RESPONSE].ID AS IDD, SUBSTRING([MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[QUESTION].Q_TEXT,1,charindex('.',[MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[QUESTION].Q_TEXT)-1) as QUESTION_NUM , [MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[QUESTION].Q_TEXT as QUESTION_DESC , [MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[ANSWER].A_TEXT as ANSWER_DESC
FROM
[MS_NEWS].[dbo].[SURVEY_RESPONSE]
INNER JOIN
[MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[QUESTION]
ON [MS_NEWS].[dbo].[SURVEY_RESPONSE].Q_ID = [MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[QUESTION].Q_ID
AND [MS_NEWS].[dbo].[SURVEY_RESPONSE].Q_ID = [MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[QUESTION].Q_ID
AND [MS_NEWS].[dbo].[SURVEY_RESPONSE].Q_ID=150
INNER JOIN
[MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[ANSWER]
ON [MS_NEWS].[dbo].[SURVEY_RESPONSE].A_ID = [MS_SURVEYCENTRAL].[dbo].[ANSWER].A_ID) HIA_PIVOT_RESULT
group by CUST_ID, IDD

You need to use a function to do this.

Pass the function the CUST_ID and have it find all the ANSWER_DESC and put them together in a VARCHAR variable.

There are several examples in the forums.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back