Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Programs in one

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrian

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
CA
I've got several programs I've writen, and I wanted to know... How can you have a sort of control program... That will run the programs within the first program. Is there a way to do this? And is it rediculously difficult?

It depends what you mean by "run them". If you mean to simply start them then it's easy (just use process.start to execute each exe).

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Actually, what I'm trying to do is creat a shell that will run several other programs inside of it. It's not a problem making a whole new project for this, I've got the forms and code, and it can all be imported easily enough. I just need to know how to actually have a form within another form...

In order to have a form within another form, you need to turn the IsMDIParent attrib on. This will allow you to have the same appearance as old style MS Word. If you already have MDI forms, then that would require a little bit more work. You'd have to decide on one "Main" form then get rid of the other MDI Parents and move the old child forms to the new parent. Kinda like a Form Adoption :)

It can be done but it's quite complex. At work I use a framework that was developed internally (in VB.NET 2003) that allows you to host multiple 'applications' each implemented as a form inherited from a base form class. Each application has a common main menu and the framework also provides security and other common facilities.

Unfortunately my company doesn't offer this framework to third party users.

I didn't develop the framework but it took a few months to write so it's not trivial.

Bob Boffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back