Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Processes of WPWIN13.EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidC271

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
On a handful of our systems we are seeing multiple instances of wpwin13.exe running. It is causing problems for our users when it comes time to shutdown the system for the evening as they have to end all the processes before the system will reboot.
I’ve narrowed down to what I think is causing the problem but have yet to know why or how to fix it.

How I am able to recreate the problem:
Open WP X3
Check Task Manager Processes, 1 instance of wpwin13.exe
Now, open GroupWise that has a WP attachment
Open that attachment
Check Task Manager Processes, 2 instances of wpwin13.exe – One the approx size of the document and the other approx. 3000k
Close WP X3
Check Task Manager Processes, 1 instance of wpwin13.exe is orphaned – the orphaned process is the 3000k instance.

Has anyone seen this before and if so, do you know why it’s happening and if there is a resolution? A Google search comes up with very limited information about this problem but I did find one forum with someone having the same problem but no resolution except someone saying that this was a Windows problem… Not sure if I buy that right now but I am open to placing the blame on them if I had the proof. A knowledge base search from corel.com gives me nothing either.

Thanks for any help that you can offer
David

I don't have Groupwise but I have no doubt that what you say may happen. Have you patched wp fully? We discussed this at wpuniverse.com but I doubt that it has been resolved.

Most likely it is wp's fault. It runs a single instance whereas MSWord and such use MDI.

Perhaps the order of shutdown might help.

There may be some programs out there that can shutdown windows more properly under those conditions. One of the RunDLL methods that I posted at wpuniverse.com might help.

Hi Dave,

I have the same problem. Have you found a resoltion?

Thanks.

Well, there has been some development with this issue. WP released a new SP (WPOX3_SP2_EN_Retail) a few weeks ago and I tried it on one of our systems that have the problem. It fixed it 100% from what we can tell with the testing. I tried it on another and it fixed it enough to allow the user to shutdown with out having to end all the orphaned WPWIN13 processes. From what I could see on that machine, when multiple documents were opened, it only opened two to three processes, enough to allow Windows to end them and shutdown. We have a lot more testing to do before we roll this service pack out to the rest of our systems but it looks promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back