Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Processes causing Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoncpage2

Programmer
Feb 21, 2004
I have come across a number of examples of this on a couple of machines but I can't work out the problem as its intermitent.

The problem manifests itself as multiple processes open for number of the application open. When I look on the task manager there are usually about 140 - 200 processes running (most of the multiples). And I can't kill the processes as they continue to multiple.

Can anyone shed some light on what could be causing this?

Thanks

A faulty Mouse or an hyperactive finger?

Malware? A suspect or badly written Login script or Startup program?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

If you click on the words "Image Name" in Task Manager, the processes will be sorted in alphabetic order.

This makes them easier to kill. You have to remember that you are likely looking at the processes for all users, so having several instances of any particular proces is not particularly interesting or the cause for alarm.

Some, such as svchost, disguise the fact that they are supporting other applications; a fact that Task Manager hides from you.

Consider using Process Explorer from Sysinternals (now Microsoft) instead of Task Manager. One of its features is that it can do a web lookup of any process:

Sometimes trying to kill something in Task Manager (that refuses to die) spawns numerous "End Tasks" windows which collect in Task Manager as multiple entries. In this example however, you also have multiple collections of Taskbar buttons appearing on the Taskbar.

I had no choice but to kill the computer. There is nothing I could do - it was task but it was teh processes tabs. There was at one point there was 140 and for example 20 were of outlook.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back