Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Personal Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

majmojo

MIS
Sep 21, 2000
US
I have searched on the MS site have found nothing on this subject. Does anybody know if there is any type of limit as to the number of personal folder files a mailbox can have?
I know it is a strange question, but we have one user who has 16 (I know) personal folder files (pst files) associated with her mailbox and now she is complaining of performance. They range in size from about 18MB to 1.5G.

Thanks for not laughing too hard about this!
mojo

I don't know if there is a documented limit, but 16 is an awful lot of .pst's. Especially if several of them are in the 1GB area. MS says that .pst's start to break down at about 2GB, but I've found that it's more like 1.8 GB. In any case, consider that if you've got all these .pst's attached to your mailbox profile, Outlook has to index each one of them before it will even open. Then, it has to browse them to retrieve data. If these files are located on a server share, you have network performance to consider as well. I would definitely suggest to this person that she archive the older (or less used) stuff to new pst's that won't be attached to her profile, but can be opened if the need for that particular data arises.

Bronto,
thanks for the reply. that was kind of where I was sitting. I was just wondering if there was hard docs to support it.
I have also noticed the breakdown before the 2G "limit". I have used the crop tool for getting them below the limit which worked well but ended up cropping the most recent entries from the file. Oh well...

thanks again
mojo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back