Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple passwords for an excel workbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

remeng

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
US
Hi All;

I'm hoping that you can provide an alternate solution to a password problem we are having.

As always, a manager (always a manager) is disrupting operations by going into a SharePoint Excel document and making changes outside the standard usage parameters. Because of this, macros are breaking and stopping our production line. The macros have been beefed up, but we are now at the point where the cost to add additions to the macro file doesn't out weigh the cost of just correcting the manager caused issues. Training the manager in the proper usage of the file has also repeatedly failed (I know how to do everything mentality).

We've already tried locking down the ranges by setting a limited editable user function for production workers and a admin level range parameters. The problem is that the manager needs to access the file and make changes, but we have dynamic ranges and dynamic tables so we can't limit it to the specific range. The manager needs to be able to add records to the table by going to the row after the last line in the table to enter the new record.

Here are the instructions that have worked up until this point:
[URL unfurl="true"]https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/excel/apply-password-to-separate-range[/url]

Is there a way to setup multiple passwords at login into the admin workbook that is a macro file? I can then try and limit him to the rows and columns he needs without disrupting the other admin users.

File Structure:

Receiving file (non-macro) SharePoint site used by multiple production workers

Admin launch file (macro) The file allows the Admin to unlock and edit the the Receiving File then relock it.

I'd like the admin file to have the multiple passwords referenced when the file is opened and set the specific macros the manager can run and how they operate.

Let me know if you have questions. I know that this is a major problem outline.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

but we have dynamic ranges and dynamic tables so we can't limit it to the specific range.

Use Dynamic Named Ranges to define those limits.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back