Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Parameter Query and stoppage

Status
Not open for further replies.

broygus

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
For one of my queries I need to ask the same question a number of times until the user decides that they've inputed enough parameters. This leads me to two questions.

1) Is it possible instead of asking the same question multiple times, to in some way have someone input multiple variables once (perhaps by checking off boxes or listing multiple parameters together).

2) If I do have to keep asking the same question over and over, how can i set it into a loop so that if I leave the parameter question blank, then it will then compile as opposed to asking again.

broygus:

1. Yes, you could use a set of check boxes or a multiselect list box.

2. Shouldn't be necessary, but if it is, test the value of the control in the On Exit or Lost Focus event and if null set a goto to the next section of the code. (How are you doing multiple displays now?)

HTH

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Now I just have multiple criteria statements with 'Or' in between. It asks many questions in a row and outputs only the values returned by the questions.

Also...how do i create the listboxes?

broygus:

We've just stepped into another dimension.

From your description, it appears that you are using a parameter query.

To do as I suggested above, you would need to use a form to capture the information from the user and, using SQL, create a query in Visual Basic code.

Just guessing, but it sounds like you are fairly new to Access (?). If you are not ready to venture into the programming end of Access, the parameter query is probably your best option. (Sorry if this sounds condescending, just guessing on your skill level.)

If you want to try the coding route, I'd be willing to give you a hand.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back