Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple OS Choices Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

regedit73

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2005
IL
Hi,
I posted a question here a while back and recieved excellent help. I believe this is the right forum to be in.
I just installed Win2k on my machine whose previous OS was WinME. Now, the installation corrupted and i had to like install Win2k again (three times actually). So now I've got a dual boot system.
The problem?
Well, for starters, the OS choices menu shows four OS installed (3 Win2k, and 1 WinMe) is there a way that I can remove the non-booting Win2k OS choices from the OS boot menu?
I've tried looking foe it in the "Startup Order" tab but floundered.
I know i need expert advice and I believe that I'll get it right here.
Thanx!

You can edit the boot menu in two ways:

1. Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" then go to the advanced tab and select "Start up and Recovery".

You can edit the boot sequence there and whether you want to show a boot list or not.

2. You can edit the boot.ini file in the root drive that your o/s is installed on. i.e. C:\boot.ini.

You won't be able to see it unless you change your folder options to display system files. You will see the list of operating systems in there such as:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

Just delete the ones you don't want to show up. Better make a back up copy of the file first though.

Good luck.

Myles

IP Detective Support
support@ipdetective.ca

hi..
i also have the problem using 2 OS which is win98 and winXP pro.Now i dont want to use XP OS anymore since it always corrupted. so now how to remove the XP os from boot choices.
could anyone help me...
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back