Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple NLB Clusters Using Same NLB Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi123

Programmer
Apr 14, 2003
HR
I would like to configure two NLB clusters, each with own name (set in DNS) and IP address using same NLB card in unicast mode. Each of two servers (nodes) have two network cards: NLB and Dedicated card. After successfully configuring first cluster I try to configure second cluster, but configuration wizard doesn't offer me the same NLB card, just dedicated one now. If I substitue dedicated IP address with second NLB cluster IP address it refuse to accept address on second node (as allready used). I have tried to configure it by adding second NLB address to NLB network card directly, but it doesn't work (you can add address, but can't ping it, even from nodes itself). Both addresses are used by apache (default server and virtual server). I did it on Windows 2000 Advanced server and it worked, but now I need it on W2K8. It is advertised that it supports multiple NLB on same card, but instructions and examples I have found till now show only single NLB configuration.

If you are just wanting to add another NLB address, you don't need to make a new cluster for that.

In the NLB configuration there is a way to add another address. Don't do this on the nic cards directly, use the NLB management tool.

I already tried this by adding just new address (IP2) to existing cluster address (IP1), I can add it but that's all. Can't ping it, even from hosts. IP1 still works, but IP2 is just added. I know it works on W2K Advanced Server, but now I am not succesfull with same concept on W2K8.

The nic card you are using is a physical nic card correct? I know it can get wonky if you use a teamed nic and such.

Is there some command line where I can configure it all without wizard so I can enforce my choice instead of choices missing in wizard (e.g. when I can't select same NLB card for second NLB cluster)?

You may have to manually add the second address in the advanced portion of the tcp/ip settings on the nic. When setting up the cluster, it set the shared ipaddress on the machines for you as it added them. Try adding the second shared ipaddress.
As long as the second shared IP Address is part of the same subnet as the first, it won't work if you are doing something like this:
Actual IP: 192.168.25.10
Shared IP 1: 192.168.25.50
Shared IP 2: 192.168.50.50
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back