Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Network Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradds

MIS
Apr 5, 1999
US
I'm trying to setup multiple network configurations on a win 98 laptop for different offices? I have different hardware profiles but everytime I setup one hardware profile it changes all the others network configurations. Any help would be greatly apprecieted.

Which areas are you needing to change? Workgroup and Identification? Protocols? Clients? Would be helpful to have more info on the configurations you need at Office A and Office B.

I'm changing the subnet and domain name. I'm running TCP/IP in both offices. I'd just like to set a hardware profile for one office with subnet and domain a, and another profile for office b with subnet and domain b. I'm running win 98, and whenever I change the config in either hardware rofile the configuration is reflected in the other???? Any help would be great Thanks

My understanding is that Hardware Profiles are just that.. relate to Hardware.. can load or disable devices in Device Manager. What you're wanting to change is configuration related.. not hardware. I'd try User Profiles (Control Panel > Passwords > Users Can Customize). Not sure it will work but fairly confident that Hardware Profiles are not the answer.

Thank You - FYI - Hardware profiles definitely doesn't work....

Hope you'll let us know if the User Profiles DO work. Would be good to know

FWIW, I've got something similar which would work, and depending on IRQs, etc, doesn't even need separate hardware profiles. My docking station has two PCCard slots, in addition to those in the laptop. Hence the station has a NIC, bound to one IP on the office lan, and the NIC used in the laptop alone has another IP for the home lan. Costs more, but works. You could probably use two different NICs in the same slot of the laptop, if Windows could easily (Plug-n-Pray) distinguish the two on bootup. Good Luck

Are you using DHCP on the networks to auto configure your other workstations? I work closely with 3 different clients, and I have TCP/IP on my Win95 Laptop set to poll a DHCP server. I log on at each client fine, with no problems. I utilize my hardware profiles (Docked and Undocked) to start the laptop without a netowrk, for when I am not connecting to anyone.<br>
<br>
<br>
Later

Use two Nics..each configured for a different network..Then use the one you want on the network you want..You can keep them both in..Since windows will initalize the one that is hooked up and use those protocols. I don't think you can get past the domain information this way, but that can be a manual item at startup.. the domain information this way, but that can be a manual item at startup..

Try this:<br>
Export the reg keys containing the network information you wish to change. Compile these into one .reg file for each location. Execute the .reg file for the location you will be traveling to before you shut down your machine and you will be all set for your arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back