Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrikk

MIS
May 10, 2000
US
Has anyone had any luck getting multiple monitors to work with Win2000 Pro?  I have used several different combinations of video cards that are listed on the MS website.  I have tried an AGP and PCI as well as 2 PCI.  I have changed the BIOS to initialize the AGP first as well as the PCI first.  Nothing works.  The second card always shows an error that reads "device cannot start".  I can use any one of these cards,in any combination, on Windows 98 and it just works.  I am thinking its because the adapter's drivers for Windows 2000 are just too basic.  If anyone has had any luck getting this to work, I would appreciate if you would share how you were able to accomplish this.  

I have had pretty good luck with it so far. I am using a laptop with an integrated ATI Rage chipset and when docked I have a PCI Matrox Millenium II adpater.<br><br>What specific adapters are you trying to use? Does your computer have an integrated video chipset?<br><br><br>dxd<br>

Thanks for your input dxd!&nbsp;&nbsp;I am trying to use 2 monitors at the same time.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can use any monitor I want on the same video card, but I am trying to install 2 video cards and have them output to 2 different monitors at the same time.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have used several different video cards, all of which are listed on Microsoft's website as being compatible with a multiple monitor setup.&nbsp;&nbsp;None of them work with Win2K but all of them, in any pair, work on Win98.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have been very pleased with Win2K, but I really miss having 2 monitors.&nbsp;&nbsp;

I failed to answer your questio regarding integrated graphics, and the answer is no.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would not touch a motherboard with integrated graphics&nbsp;&nbsp;:))

I got mine to work using a AGP Rage 128 pro and a S3 Inc Savage 4 PCI. I had to set in the bios the PCI adapter (the S3) as the primary display adapter and after that everything worked great!! Mike Rohde
&quot;I don't have a god complex, god has a me complex!&quot;

I use 3 monitors.
I use an on board VGA card and a 2 Pine PCI SIS 605 cards.

I occcasionally get a STOP error when I start and have to restart in Debug mode (F8) to get it to work again.

You need at least Win2000 service pack 4 to use more than 1 additional monitor.

Try different slots as you might have an IRQ conflict.
You have to install the first video and all other devices properly before installing the second card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back