Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple modem router like the Webramp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexxed

MIS
Nov 29, 2002
CA
Webramp used to have a router with 3 modems that could all dial to an ISP if the ISP supported multiple sessions. the technology they used was called "Colt" Webramp was aquired by Nokia and the Webramp line was killed. Anyone know of a similar device with multiple modem capability?

Thanks! :) Yes, i've seen them on ebay but I wanted something new for the warranty and support. My boss may go for the ebay devices, you never know.
I'll take a look at netopia; Looks like its multilink ppp, I have never gotten Multilink with 56k modems to work properly. The Webramp used a technology called "colt" to bind the modems and it worked well. You could also use multilink but it didn't really work that well.
There used to be about 8 other manufacturers of devices like this but since broadband is everywhere they all seemed to have dropped the multi modem product line.

Interesting. I used the Webramp 310i in a office of about 20 people using colt with 3 modems. I had no complaints and believe me if it didn't work I would gotten and earfull from these people.
The webramp was great, it also allowed PPTP passthru, I don't know of any others that did.
Jimbo, did you ever get multilink to work properly with your M3 devices? I'm thinking maybe it was my ISP that said they could handle it but really couldn't. There would be brief outages to the internet when I tried to use multilink.

No, I always used COLT and seperate ISPs, my main reason for webramps was to get reliable service and to use fewer phonelines, which they did great at. In fact it is the reason I found the nexland, to be able to offer reliable service even when no ISP was reliable. (To a point) you can get one faster service contract cheaper than 2 slower service contracts, but the two will be less disrupted, if you be sure they are truly seperate. (one dsl and one cable is ideal) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back