Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple MCR setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

konai

Technical User
Jan 23, 2012
US
I am working on changing a setup for a group of phones, all of which are M3904's. The end user wants all of the phones in the set to ring when a call comes in. The only way to do that, that I know of is to create an MCR and put it on every phone. The problem I am running into is that if more than one call comes in while the phones are ringing, the caller will be sent to voicemail. I think if I create multiple MCRs and put them on all the phones in question and make the MARP'd phone hunt through that I can at least get more than one caller to ring to each of these phones without having the problem of the caller being sent to voicemail. Is this a good solution? Is there a better way to do this?

In the past I have built a dummy 3904 with no phone on it that doesn't hunt or forward to VM and have the MCR marped there. This does burn a valid TN though. But it does work.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing, is have 1 phone with 4 MCR's and lhk to the last MCR. My concern is if they are all busy where does the voicemail go?

You really don't need 4 MCR's. Just one MCR built on a dummy phone with the marp there. Then put that same mcr on the other sets and it wont forward or hunt to vm. The MCR will continue to ring when all are busy on the phone because it's still idle on your dummy phone.

So it will allow more than one person to ring that number at the same time?

Yes, that is what MCR does. All phones ring at once, phone A answers the call, then the line becomes idle on all other sets for the next call.

Sorry I was unclear in what I meant. If more than one person is calling that number yet no one has picked up yet (so 2 people attempting to call in) they will both be able to be picked up? My problem with one MCR is that only one person can call in at a time.

Not sure exactly what will happen if 2 people are ringing simultaneously. Just have to play with it. But that is the design of MCR to do what you are wanting.

Refer to this thread for MCR enhancements - thread798-1711444

In the "pre-enhancement"; when an MCR is ringing, all appearances are busy, so busy treatment is given.

When an MCR lives on a phone that nobody sits at, and all other appearances are in use, it can be ringing - but nobody can pick it up

~~
Gene at GHTROUT.com

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately our system is not that up to date. (no release 7 for us :( ) And it is not likely that we will be upgrading any time soon as the college I work for just purchased a new phone system that we will be slowly migrating the whole campus to. I will just have to find something to hold them over until then.

REQ iss

VERSION 3221
RELEASE 3
ISSUE 00 + DepList x210300_cpp

You can build a dummy 3904 with scr keys and make it hunt up the key strip with short hunt and marp it on this set. Then have those same appearances on the other sets. That way you wont encounter the busy signal. So build a phone like this.

Hunt 000

LHK 3

cls hta

key 0 scr xxxx marp
key 1 scr xxxx marp
key 2 scr xxxx marp
key 3 scr xxxx marp

I dont know what release you are but have you looked into creating a PCA? It allows multiple calls and doesnt go to Vm.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Never heard of PCA. I will look into that.

I think that is not something I can do.

From LD 22
REQ: SLT
///
PCA 0 LEFT 0 USED 0
///

That is what I have restored it too. It is basically a combination of laziness on the end users part and sheer call volume in combination that led to this problem. Thanks to all of the people who have helped on this issue. Your suggestions have been great, but unfortunately it does not look like my company will be spending any money on it since we are planning on moving to the cisco unified communications manager anyways. They will just have to clamp down on those who are supposed to be answering these calls and use the ACD the way it was meant to be used.

Unfortunately the phone system cant fix personnel problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back