Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Logons

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbowles

Vendor
Jun 17, 2005
US
I have an issue with users sharing their usernames and passwords with each other when they can't log on themselves due to password complexities. Is there any way to limit users to 1 log on on the domain? I don't want to limit them to 1 PC because there are several needs for folks to log on to different machines. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

N8

What you can do is limit the user to only logging on to a specific workstation(s). Under the properties for the username in Active Directory Users and Computers, click the Account tab, then Log On To, you can enter the workstation or workstations that the will be allowed to log on to or check out this link for cconnect.exe:

Thanks for the link Paul. Have you used this utility before? If so, have you had any issues with it?

bracadar thank you for the link as well. I ask the same questions of you. Have you used the utility before? Any issues? The user to workstation idea is good, but I have mobile users that use several different machines depending on where they are located at the time. It would be difficult to manage in this way.

thank you both again

Nate

I've never had any issues with at all

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Do you use it then Paul?

I've been looking for something like this i tried writing some .bat files but it wasn't reliable enough, how long ish did it take to install and get working?

Cheers.

ummmmm, Yes I am using it and I don't recall any problems setting it up originally. However just trying to install onto a virtual machine which is a dc and I keep getting 401 unauthorised errors when I run the AD setup portion.

It was originally installed some time ago, I'll post back when I've sussed it.

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

FYI - There is another tool called Userlock that is available, not a freebie though

Paul
MCSE

Albert Einstein

Yeah it adds some atributes to the schema, adds an application partiton as well.

I've got it to install but it won't pick up any logins in my virtual world....

Very strange as it works ok in the production environment and has been for quite a while

Paul
MCSE

Albert Einstein

I'm installing it now, and I get the 401 errors as well. Do you recall what it took to get by these?

Yep just sussed it, on the virtual dir WSLimitLogin in IIS you have to enable Integrated Windows Authentication

Paul
MCSE

Albert Einstein

The above was all I had to do, as for no logins being picked up - .......
I realised I had set my group policy logon/logoff scripts to point to c:\share1\llogin.vbs and not the unc path........ D'oh!!!!

That was why the scripts weren't running on logon and logoff then!!!! My excuse is it's near home time :)

Paul
MCSE

Albert Einstein

I enabled Integrated Windows Authentication, but now I get a 404 error. I'm not real good at the IIS stuff.

Sometimes when you read the help file....it really helps. ;-)
I had to turn on ASP and all is well. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Nate

Nice one guys i might give it a try at some point, i might have to wait untill we have some downtime to risk updating the schema in production though.

Cheers.

I put in during production work hours. It had no impact on the user community. The exception was that I had not rolled out the client piece yet and had a few users getting the SOAP errors when they logged off their machines.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back