Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple lines field from Oracle 10g 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddiekg

Programmer
Oct 13, 2009
MY
Dear all,

I cannot append properly a XLS or CSV files into DBF that created from a Oracle 10g database. The problem is one of the field has multi-line information like the following. The field type is Varchar2(160).

1-10-60/3,"SURYODAYA",BEGUMPET,
HYDERABAD-500 016,
A.P.,INDIA

The single line append command returns no error but the information all ended out in the wrong fields.

Any work-around that I can do?

Thanks in advance.
Freddie

"one of the field has multi-line information"

Well you obviously know that cannot be supported in VFP.

"Multi-line" information (interpreted here as multi-record information) must be parsed out so that each individual piece can be put into its associated field in its own record.

What you CAN do is to take the data into a single Temp Field (possibly in a Temp DBF) and then with your own VFP code, parse it out into its own separate records.

NOTE: if the data from a single field contains commas like your example above, some of the typical APPEND FROM options such as DELIMITED, CSV, etc. might not work as expected since the commas in the field data itself may 'throw' the import off.
That is why "The single line APPEND command returns no error but the information all ended out in the wrong fields."
You might be best served by using low-level functions text file parsing methods.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back