Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Intranet Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
At the moment on my webserver I have two websites. The first of these can be accessed externally. The second in our Intranet site which users access using the server name i.e.
I want to add another site to this server which can only be accessed internally. If I set the host header value for that site to "Intranet" how do I configure my network to allow users to access that site by entering in their browsers??

Mighty

You need a DNS entry for "Intranet" that points to your webserver's IP address.

Hi,

Or you can work with multiple ip Adresses .
Just add a decond ip adress to you NIC in the advanced options and then link the new site to that ipadress (dont forget to add a dns A record entry).

Mike

Sure, just give your first server the name www and give your other server the name other

... hmm seems too simple, maybe i misunderstood

Thanks 4 the reply Sheco, but I think we may misunderstand each other here - what I mean is this . . .

outside my domain, someone requests and get's through to my main web server (SERVER1) - everything cushti . . .

what I want now is to have my sharepoint server (which is on, say SERVER2) available to external users and at the moment it's available using
So, my problem is how (if at all possible) can I have my sharepoint (on SERVER2) available externally using something like instead of
Cheers
Marko

oh, wait perhaps i still misunderstand...

Are you asking for a way to use port 80 for sharepoint instead of 8082?

Sheco, let's try this again . . .

I have 2 servers on my LAN, SERVER1 & SERVER2. My main web server is SERVER1 which has port80/433 for web/SSL, etc, etc and 99% of the time people hit this server using
I also have a sharepoint site on SERVER2 which I have to force on port 8082 through IIS so I can open up port 8082 on my router to then allow people to type " (I've set up an external pointer for "sharepoint" so people can also type "
Both sites are on entirely different servers and I merely need to find a way for both sites to be accessible from the internet using "friendly" URLs and not port numbers at the end of the URL . . .

So, I am OK for SERVER1 as this is my main web server hosting on port 80 (" but I would also like to have my sharepoint site (on SERVER2) to be accessible using something like " instead of currently having to use "
Basically, if it were possible to have both sites running on port 80 and somehow redirect " to SERVER2 through SERVER1 this would be ideal. I've looked into host headers but it would appear this only works for sites on the same server - if you know different please tell me.

Hope this clarifies
Marko

Does your firewall have "port forwarding" where it can take an incomming request for on port 80, rewrite the packet header, and forward it to port 8082 on SERVER2... and then do the same in reverse?

Sheco, I dont think I can setup an alternative external IP as my domain is hosted by my own servers with only 1 external IP address. As for my firewall/router, I can "forward" ports to internal IP addresses, but there is no option to configure headers. I had been advised on this before, but alas no go - I think the simplest option would indeed be to invest in a router which can do such a thing, would be handy if I added more servers to my setup anyway I guess!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back