Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Instances of MQ Client App. on one workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

okuye

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
CA
I have a fairly powerful machine and wondering if I can run multiple instances of my MQ Client app. pointing to the same Queue Manager on the MQ Server. The aim is to empty items in a queue quickly without using a second or third machine. Found out that the connection handles from each app instance are the same. Am I doing something wrong? and what are the pros/cons of doing this?

What error you are getting exactly.Also could you tell about the environment too?

There were no errors. Just wondering why the handles would be same values on several instances of an application running on ONE workstation.

I pointed my MQ Client (in VB on NT4) to a queue manager on a Unix Sun Box located miles away from me. I explicitly specified the default queue manager name to be sure it's not using the queue manager on my local machine.

Ran multiple instances of the client, got a connection handle of "5" in each instance and THE QUEUE I OPENED ALL HAVE THE SAME HANDLE "269984" in each instance.

Closed queue and opened several times within a connection, new queue handles were issued but they are SAME IN EACH INSTANCE. Any time the queue handle changes in one instance, values in the other instances all change to the new value the next time they get a queue handle! For example, when the first instance gets "269972", the next instance also gets "269972" when I get a queue handle. (They are opening the same queue).

Is it safe to run multiple instances on ONE workstation?

We have had the exact same problem with a VB MQ client connecting to an AS400. My concern was with the application doing rollbacks but I have not seen any major issues with this. Although it still doesn't seem right. What version of MQ are you running?

We have had the exact same problem with a VB MQ client connecting to an AS400. My concern was with the application doing rollbacks but I have not seen any major issues with this. Although it still doesn't seem right. What version of MQ are you running?

Vinoo Palayoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back