Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Filters - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonysilva

MIS
Dec 3, 2002
GB
Hi,

Can anybody help me with this please...
I am running Arcserve 6.61 (SP2a) on Windows NT (SP6a).
My backups have recently been running over two tapes as one particular directory (LIVEWORK) has grown quite large. I took the decision to do a seperate one-off backup of livework for all files last modified before a certain date. I would now like to ammend my nightly auto-pilot backup to include all files on the server plus only those modified after that date in livework.
The way i see it i need to filter the job to exclude files within livework which were modified after a certain date. I can do one or the other, but how to do both?
Is this possible or am i asking too much of Arcserve??

Any help much appreciated.

I believe that as long as you are using the client agent on LIVEWORK, if you right click on that agent and choose filter, it will only set the filter fot that agent. The global filter is for the local machine and all machines selected through the network.

Sorry, maybe i didnt explain it fully enough. Livework is a directory on the local machine so therefore it is not backed up through an agent. Thanks for your reply though.

Reckon you'll need 2 jobs.

One which does the whole server with an exclude of LIVEWORK filter in, then a second job appending which selects only the LIVEWORK folder and excludes (via filter) all files modified before the date you did the one-off backup.

The only problem with this is if you have two tape drives where ARCserve will try and write both jobs at the same time.

Cheers, Andy.

I'm happy to do two jobs, but is it possible to run two jobs, as you suggest, to the same auto-pilot media pool?
It needs to go to the same media pool because it is run overnight and a change of tapes would not be possible.

Hi all,

I've left this problem alone for a bit, but unfortunately it still needs solving!

Does anybody have any ideas as to how i could make this work, either using filters or 2 jobs to one media pool?

All suggestions more than welcome!

I would run two jobs. In the first job I would set a filter to exclude the LIVEWORK directory. In the second job I would only select the LIVEWORK directory a set a filter to inlude files after a particular date.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back