Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple entries in secondary table linked to one in first

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunarmono

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
PE
I am designing a database for a clinic's dispensary (pharmacy). There are actually various issues I need to resolve, being that I have no experience whatsoever. I'll let you know what I've done so far and list my major issues below.

TABLES:
I have 3 tables: "Basic Patient Info" (P), "IDP Orders" (O1), and "CCH Orders" (O2). The first has chart numbers, names, address, and so on. The second and third also have the chart numbers, as well the order dates, medications and so on, which have been made on patient's behalf to IDP and CCH (different suppliers). The three tables are linked by the patient's chart number.

QUERIES:
I have various queries. The first, and most important, was designed to pull up a patient's basic info, and orders by chart number, last name, and/or first name OR any partials of these. Also I have queries to pull IDP orders between certain dates and CCH orders between dates. The queries work well.

FORMS:
I need to make a patient info and orders form split into three compartments: One should contain the basic info from table P. One should have all the IDP orders for that patient from O1. And the third should be his/her CCH orders from O2. I used the wizard and made a table with the basic info, and the orders. However [PROBLEM 1], if there is more than one order for the same patient, than queueing that patient's info returns two records, both with the same basic patient info but different order info.
I also have a switchboard with a link to each form. More questions to come...

I apologize for asking what is likely a very basic question, but your help is super appreciated.

Sincerely,
Andy

yep very basic
on the form you made you will see, in design mode, that there is a control named subform, try that . "What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

Chrissie,
Thank you for the speedy reply but I am still having trouble finding any option to create a subform. I even have tried to create a new form all together w/ the wizard but the page that is supposed to pop up asking if I would like subforms does not pop up. Instead I am taken directly from the fields selection window to the layout window (columnar, justified, datasheet, or tabular). What is wrong with my access??
Thanks again,
Andy

I thought that enforcing referential integrity would do it...but it didn't.

"...w/ the wizard but the page that is supposed to pop up asking if I would like subforms does not pop up."

With your form open in design view, look at the Toolbox. Is the Wizard button (Wand and Stars icon) turned on? If not, turn it on and try adding the subform control again.

HTH
Lightning

When I click the Wizard Button, a window titled "Choose Builder" pops up and I have to select among "Expression Builder" "Macro Builder" or "Code Builder".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back