Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple emails with multiple recipents from external mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr486

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
AU
Hi,

When someone sends an email to my organisation and includes multiple CC recipents in my organisation, the CC recipents will receive a copy for each recipent in the CC list.

So, if someone sends me an email and CC's two other people in my organisation I will receive 3 emails. The people in the CC will also recieve three emails.

if my description makes sense and you have a suggestion please let me know.

dr

Do you have any third party products (antispam etc) between the internet and your mailserver ?

I'm having the same problem and decided to switch off Microsoft's pop connector and use Popcon instead but I still get the same problem. So I'm guessing it must be with the exchange server rather than the pop connector. I'm using the out of the box settings for the exchange server.

Just to be clear our particular problem only occurs if the initial email comes from an external email address. It's as if the exchange server is only matching up with the email domain name on the cc list and therefore every cc address listed get the email for every other person on the cc list.

I am a newbie in setting up an exchange server but can't see what I have done wrong to get this behaviour.

I have sort of worked out what is going and it seems to depend on the external email address where it comes from. If I send an email to my organisation from my yahoo address and cc 3 people I get 4 emails from my pop account (the TO address and the 3 cced). My pop connector takes each email, reads the cc list and then forwards to everyone one the list. It then does this for the next email and of course each person ends up with 4 emails each.

If I send the email from a different address the problem doesn't occur because my pop connector detects that the message is the same and drops it, so the log looks like:

11/09/2008 12:33:39: ... same Message ID [<auto-000284586809@mercury.easily.co.uk>] already sent to <emailaddress> - dropping this copy.
11/09/2008 12:33:39: ... same Message ID [<auto-000284586809@mercury.easily.co.uk>] already sent to <emailaddress> - dropping this copy.

I have no-idea what I need to do in order to solve the problem but at least I understand what is going on. BTW: I'm now using Popcon pop connector rather than Microsoft which gives me the above log.

Is there any reason why you are not hosting the email yourself ?

I'm new to setting up an exchange server so I thought the pop approach would be simplier for the time being but I'm now wondering if this appraoch was such a good idea. I guess that most people don't use this pop connector?

Percentage-wise, I would think that people who pop rather than host is pretty small.

If I were you, I would read the forums for a month or two, get a good book, then when you have a better understanding, either change it yourself, or get a consultant to come in and guide you through it - ie. You actually do the work, but he/she makes sure you do it right. Also research what you need to do for MX records, SPF records, Reverse DNS, and what your strategy for anti spam will be etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back