Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple emails being sent to dist. group of custom recipients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croady

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on NT4 Server SP6a. Client PCs use Outlook 2000.

The problem is that I have a recipient container containing over 150 custom recipients, i.e. external email addresses. All of the customer recipients in this container are members of a distribution group.

When an email is sent to this distribution group, each of the recipients receive the email upto 15 times or more..in fact I stop the Internet Mail Service to prevent more being sent.

All our Servers and Client PCs have up to date Sophos AV installed and I have scanned the machines in question.

The emails can be seen being re-sent in the Internet Connector's queue. This also occurs when the senders PC is switched off.

Can anyone help please??

The distribution list is not a member of itself per chance is it?

Does there seem to be a set period of time inbetween the mail being sent again?

Has this been occuring for long, or only since a particular recipient was added?

The distribution list is not a member of itself, that is it does not appear in it's own "member of" list.

The distribution list was originally called "Business Partners" and worked fine with just over 120 recipients.

Recently it was renamed to "Business Partners All" and several other dist lists were created, namely:
Business Partners Active
Business Partners Dormant
Business Partners New

On the same day, more custom recipients were added to the recipient container (called "Business Partners") and the extra recipients were also added to the "Business Partners All" dist list.

It was after this I first noticed the problem.

It's difficult to judge how often the emails are being re-sent, but it doesn't seem to coincide wit hthe std re-send timeouts....every 0.25, 0.5, 1, and 4 hours. Plus more than 14 can be sent in under an hour.

That does sound rather strange. Is it possible to delete the Distribution List, re-create it and then add the custom recipients again?

My line of thought is that perhaps it has become corrupt.

Sounds plausible, I will give it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back