Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Emails are Delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolGunS

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2007
AU
Hello,

When a user sends an email to a recipient, and also sends the same email to a group (of which the recipient is also a member), the recipient gets two copies arrive in his inbox.

Is there some sort of setting on the Exchange server that will ensure only one copy is sent in these circumstances?

Thankyou.

Of course they'll get both messages, have the sender just email the group and not be redundant. I see no reason why MS would spend any time including a feature that would check to see if the same person is being writen to twice.

Obviously Lotus Notes is smarter than Exchange then, because it can filter in this way. Unfortunately our organisation is rather large and we have lots of groups. Not even the IT staff can remember who is in which group so we don't expect our users to. Therefore the question remains open to this forum.

Thankyou.

I think there is some confusion here.

While drafting a single email, you include multiple recipients - some recipients are distribution groups, and others are individuals within those distributions groups, then yes, the individual will only receive one copy of the message. (Exchange / or Lotus)

If you are saying that 2 seperate emails were sent, and you only want the user to receive 1 copy, I don't think there's an email server around that would accomplish that.

Mike Fegan

Affordable Web Hosting, SSL Certs, and much more... from the "weirdest" city in Texas.

The email is one email. The recipient gets two copies because he's been replied to and also happens to be in a group that was cc'd.

Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back