Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple email domains - on behalf of

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougscrm

Programmer
Oct 19, 2002
US
I have a client who emails from three businesses. They recently migrated from 3 pop accounts to an inhouse Exchange Server 2003. The integrator who set up their Exchange 2003 server has it set up so when the user sends emails from their main business email account the email is sent from user@domain. If the user sends email from the accounts set up for the other two domains they get an on behalf of domain2 or domain3 depending on which account they sent from. The client is Outlook 2003. I am looking to change this so that for each domain email account it is sent from user@domain2 or user@domain3 without the "on behalf of".

Thanks

I just recently went through this and after a load of research, this seems to be a feature of Outlook in Corporate mode. The only way I could get it to work was to set everyone up using Internet Email and then when they wanted to send using a different domain, they used the drop down list to choose who to send as.

marcs41 replied to an earlier message that I accidentally posted to Exchange 2000 but it was moved - perhaps to an Outlook 2003 forum. I looked up his replies to similiar messages and found this:

<<The mailbox HAS to be openened within the Account settings of Exchange: Open another Mailbox. That actually logs you in to the mailbox. Then you can send as that mailbox.

If you just do a file open.... or just give permissions, it will be a On behalf of. >>

I work with Outlook mostly in Internet mode with Pop3 mailboxes and local PST files. Is opening another Mailbox on Exchange 2003 similar to opening a second PST file?

I think what he is saying there is to set up a new profile with a different mailbox. Then when you log into Outlook you choose the profile you would like to use, log into that mailbox and send the emails you would need. This is a pain in the butt.

I gather from your research that you were unable to find a simpler way to eliminate the "on behalf of". I suspected as much because the client has made a lot of noise hoping the people who set up the exchange server could change this and nothing has happened for weeks.

I found no other way than multiple Internet email accounts and the drop down on the send button. Asking users to change profiles just to send mail is way too much of a hassle

When you say set up everyone using Internet email do you mean that you are doing this with Exchange or do you mean with an ISP hosted POP3 mailboxes?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back