Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple email addresses with Outlook and Exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYTERYTE

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2004
US
I've searched this quite thoroughly, and though several threads touch on this subject, none have definatively answered it.

Here is the senario: Exchange server 2003 with outlook 2003. The exchange server receives email via MX record for several domains (ie. *@domain1.com and *@domain2.com). Email recipients within the network receive email from each of these domains (ie. "Bob" has a default SMTP address of bob@domain1.com, but also gets mail from bob@domain2.com and sales@domain2.com). Each user has the appropriate POP3 accounts set up for each additional SMTP addresses. There are no external POP3 addresses being checked.

We don't have any problem with inbound message delivery. All the mail from each domain goes to the correct recipients. The problem is replying to received messages sent to addresses which are not the users default address.

For example, if Bob replies to an email addressed to sales@domain2.com, it's automatically sent from bob@domain1.com unless he manually changes it using the Accounts button on the tool bar (every time, for every message...ARGG!). Is there a way to get the replies to automatically select the correct 'From' address?

I've been looking for a solution to this for quite a while. It's 2007, forty years after we landed a man on the moon, and I don't think this should be a difficult task to accomplish. If it's not possible, I'd like a definative answer so I can start researching another email solution.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Foote
President
BYTE-RYTE Computers, Inc.

Best Wishes,

Steve Foote

This probably isn't helpful if your stuck with Outlook, but Mozilla Thunderbird has this functionality built-in.

ditto on Thunderbird.

i switched from Outlook for similar reasons.

You can set you default account (Tools-Email Accounts-default) to answer but must change the sending account if you want a different sender (i.e., Bob versus sales).

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Thanks for the recommendations for Thunderbird, but that wasn't the question I need answered. My question remains, is it possible to configure the senario I wrote above to automatically reply to the correct from address?

Once I have this answered, I'll solicit for a different solution.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Steve Foote

NO, not that i am aware of with MS Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back