Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple E-mails being sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caden

Programmer
Dec 9, 2001
CA
Greetings Tek-Tips, i'm having a slight problem with e-mail, and i'm curious if it is a potential virus or a different problem.

When one e-mail is sent from the sender, the recipient is getting multiple copies of it. Now my comptuer is virus scanned every night and updated automatically by Norton, so unless something is getting under the radar, it could be a different problem.

Any idea's? Thanks!
caden

Essentially, it sounds as though your mail scanning may be preventing you from completing the transaction with your outgoing mail server. Essentially, when you click on sen / receive, you open a connection to both your incoming and outgoing mail servers. We're interested primarily in the outgoing mail portion. you open a conneciton with the server, and send a file to it. This file is the email (emails) that you're trying to send. Now, it could be that when you're trying to send that file, Norton is ending it prematurely, and then attempting to send again. the result... multiple email's. Try this:

(I make the assumption that you are the sender)

1. Send yourself a test message. (From yourself, to yourself).
2. Send / Receive.
3. Turn off Norton's mail scanning (temporarily).
4. Send yourself a test message. (From yourself, to yourself).
5. Send / Receive.

If the problem is on the your PC, this will rectify the issue.

Addionally, it may be a problem with the recipient's incoming mail server. This happens from time to time. try the steps listed above, and post a response.

-C-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back