Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple DSL sessions using 2 or more PC's at same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmcb

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
I have 3 PC's, interconnected using ethernet, a 5 port Intel hub (upstairs) and an 8 port Netgear hub (downstairs). The operating systems are Win98ME, Win98SE and Win98.

I recently signed up for SBC (Pacific Bell) DSL. I was sent an Efficient 5360 DSL modem. I connected the DSL modem to the Intel hub using a crossover cable. I can make a connection with either the Win98 or the Win98SE machine. I have not tried the Win98ME machine as it is my wifes and I don't dare screw it up till all else is working. I can not establish more than one connection at a time. When one machine is on, the second connect/authentication sequence times out.

The primary purpose of this was to permit simultaneous internet access with my wife on one system and myself on another and no phone lines tied up.

I have contacted SBC DSL tech support. They can't (or won't) help. They simply say they do not support networks or hubs. They suggest calling Intel. Not very good press for SBC.

Any suggestions???

Bob McBirney
bobmcb@sbcglbal.net
[mad]

Bob,
A HUB doesn't do anything in your network(You haven't set up your network yet to begin with), it provides ONLY a physical connection between the networking devices without being able to make decisions.
In order for your DSL modem to recognize other devices on your network, you need a gateway device. Gateway device sits between the modem and the LAN. That gateway can be:
a) A Router - that connects your hub to your DSL modem.
b) A computer - that acts as a gateway device. You define it as your server and connect it directly to your modem while the rest of your network end to that computer/server.
a-advantage: It takes care of settings and nearly no software configuration needs to be done by you.
a-disadvantage: You have to buy the router.
b-disadvantage: Your server should always be on and you need to set static IP addresses and so on to each single device.
I recommend -a- specially if you are not very familiar with networking concepts.

Laleh

I agree with Laleh. A router is probably your best bet. You can pick up a nice one that will do exactly what you need for less than $150. Look into the following:

Netgear RP114 or D-Link DI704

These are both Cable/DSL capable and are relatively easy to program. You would set it up by connecting the ethernet port of your DSL modem to the WAN interface on the router. You then uplink the router to one of your hubs. You then configure the PCs on your network to use DHCP (i.e. to obtain their IP addresses automatically). At that point you connect to the router (usually address 192.168.0.1) using TELNET or your web browser. Make a few simple entries such as your DSL account info and your on your way.

Good luck.

Could be a difference in DSL modems and providers. I use Sprint and have 6 PC's (5 Win98, 1 W2000) on a netbeui for peer-to-peer network. I connect the DSL modem directly to the hub with a stright-thru cable (no cross-over), and other systems are connected to the hub in a similar manner. I don't use a static IP address and all PC's can connect without a hitch.

Just after the original hook-up and install, I had a lot of problems getting online and am know on a first-name basis with Sprint's tech support. One of them told me that some of the newer modems WILL NOT allow multiple connections unless you install a router and mke it jump through hoops! Sprint's way of getting you to pay for each PC connection. She warned me never to give up my modem unless absolutely necessary! There's always a better way...

TVIMAN,
I have heard of DSL modems with built-in router but don't have enough experience. (apparently u do thou!!)
I personally am more comfortable with devices that come individually , less headache more ability to dignose the problem.

Laleh

I got some advice from Speedstream (Siemens) and then purchased a router (model 2614 Speedstream cable/dsl router). It is working on multiple PC's even as I write this. It privides one IP address interface to the WAN (outside world) but multiple to the LAN (inside world).

Bob McBirney
bobmcb@sbcglobal.net
[bigsmile]

Thanks for your help. I have purchased a speedstream 2614 dsl/cable router which seems to have resolved the problems. One IP address for the outside world (WAN) and multiple IP addresses for the inside world (LAN).

Thanks for your help.

Bob McBirney
bobmcb@sbcglobal.net
[smile]

Hi again:
I thought my problems were over when I installed the router. I am not sure what did it, however, now my local network no longer can see the other PC's. It was working perfectly for file and printer sharing. Not sure if it went away with DSL initially when I did the SBC DSL install or when I installed the router. This was my primary backup strategy so I need to figure what happened and fix it.

Dinosnake helped my get the network working correctly to begin with. Maybe he has some ideas now.

Thanks,
Bob McBirney
bobmcb@sbcglobal.net
[mad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back