Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple DNs on one set? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryezak

Technical User
Jul 1, 2008
I am upgrading a customer from a Lucent Def 1 to a New MICS.
The old PBX offered multiple Dns or Ext #s per set.

Does the MICS do this? If so how?

tks...

As well the old system had this feature that you could dial a 3 digit extension which would call an off premise number.

Can the MICS accomplish this?

Tks...

Give us an example..

ie: Stations use extension range xxx-yyy and the three digit dialing to an off-premise number, aaa-bbb dialing npa-nxx-xxxx.

--DB

station number 223 can grab an intercom line (223) and simply dial 245 and it will call 10 digit public pstn number.
as well they can be on a public pstn call and transfer that call to the 245. Which dials out.
I wonder if the mics can accomplish this task.

The only way it can is if you are using a T1 or a PRI. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is how we have it at our office. As far as multiple DNs, why would you need multiples for 1 telephone? Unless you are doing something like a callcenter.

John Panzer

223 is just one extension of 80 sets!

the question is how does lucent definity one dial 3 digit extension and it routes to an off premise PSTN number. But it is recognized as an extension number but it is represented as a number.
This is not a call centre. It is a medical firm with several departments.

Why do I need multiples of the same DN? Well I have doctors that have 2 offices and I want one number to be dialed to reach both of there offices!

Does the MICS do this feature or is Definity Superior to MICS in the Features.

Okay, now I see the purpose. What I do is set up an Answer DN on both telephones. DN 221, for instance, would have a key to answer 222. And DN 222 would have a key to answer 221. Simple.

As far as routing to off-premise number, you would need a T1 or PRI because the MICS will not let you forward a DN to a particular number if it is using "9" as the access code. But if it sees "9" as part of the dial string (meaning it does not instantly switch over to a trunk before you dial) then yes it can be done. You would have to permanently forward a DN to the outbound number. We use this at our office to forward our extensions to our cellphones when we're not in the office.

As far as how a Definity system goes, I do not know because I do not work on nor service a Definity PBX. Definity is a true PBX, so it probably uses something like phantom DN's.

As far as purpose, the MICS is to Avaya's Partner system (both are considered KSU's) as the Option 11/61/81 is to the Definity (both are considered PBX's).

John Panzer

I am terrible at explaining my prob. Say my dn is 221. Well on the lucent definity. they can use intercom 221 button. it gets dn dialtone... then they dial 3 digits...234 and it auto dials external number. also they can be on the call with someone and transfer to the off premise 3 digit extension. Does mics do that?
tks.

Maybe external cfwd the ext to a particular phone number? Would mean all calls to that ext would be fwd to the external number.

You'd have to use routes instead of line pools.

No...the customer is stuck on dialing a 3 digit intercom number and reaching an off premise number.

Lucent definity one does this with ease. Nortel apparently does not. Unless I do weird phantom dn work arounds.

Definity can use either a 3 digit vdn, which points to a vector routing to an external #, or it uses an x port station which follows a remote call forward to an external #.

This Avaya PBX feature could be similarly imitated by assigning an external system or personal speed dial on MICS , but you need to use route - not pool .

You could also dedicate a "back room" hard set which is callforwarded off net. There is no easy way to create a phantom or x port ( Avaya lingo ) on Norstar .

If you have a BCM, you can use a IP license to do it easily !

Happy New Year !

Clear your dial plan of any 2xx extensions that you want to use as speed dials.

Create a route in routing service that has dialout# set for the 10 digit number and the pool to use is your trunks.

Create a destination code of 2xx>absorb 3 digits> and assign it to the route you created.

This should do what you need.

------------------------------------------
Wash, rinse, repeat.

you can also set up a destination for a number (say 723) and assign it to Pool1 drop all digits and then insert NNN NNX XXXX so that when you dial 723 the call will be made to the assigned number.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

what a scam.

------------------------------------------
Wash, rinse, repeat.

I never was known for neat