Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple DNS entries for same workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antelope

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US
I have 2 windows 2003 DHCP servers, each with its own scope. These servers are also DNS servers.

I've noticed that there are multiple workstations with the same IP address in DNS, but there is not a DHCP problem. I have to go in and manually delete these every week. It cause a problem because when troubleshooting, I ping workstation1 and really get another PC.

I have Scavenge Stale records set to one day. What else am I missing?

What type of DNS is running? Are they Active Directory integrated? Does it look like the two DNS are sync'ing propperly?

Active-Directory Integrated DNS on Server 2003 - There are no errors in the sync'ing operation.

So If workstation 1 gets an IP address, it then registers its FQDN in DNS with that IP address. That PC turns off, and the lease expires, workstation 2 gets the same IP Address, registers its FQDN in DNS with that IP address, why doesn't it override the first entry instead of adding a second?

I guess I could increase the duration of my leases, but that doesn't tell me why this is happening.

Do you have credentials set in DHCP with an account that has the ability to delete in DNS? For a test try adding a Domain Admin account in the DHCP credentials tab and try to recreate this scenario... let me know - there are some diag's we can run otherwise, but this is a good first step.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Under DNS - Properties - Advanced, I did not have the box checked:

Enable Automatic Scavening of Stale Records

I set it to 1 day.

My account is an enterprise admin so I have the ability to delete DNS records, I'm confused as to what you suggest I should do.

In the DHCP Console (not DNS), look at the properties DHCP in the advanced tab under Credentials. Supply your account in there temporarily and see if that works.

~Intruder~
CEH, MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back