Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Display Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacht

MIS
Jun 8, 2001
US
Can anyone suggest any good Video Adapters that can be used in a Windows 2000 Multiple Display Adapter enviroment?

Any of the standard adapters should work. I do remember seeing somewhere, that Windows requires one of the adapters to be AGP, and the other to be PCI. You couldn't use two PCI adapters, for instance.

Get the computer working with the AGP adapter first. Once all is working, shut down and install the PCI adapter. Windows should recognize the new hardware on restart.

Good luck.

No they can be both PCI Video cards to work in multiple display

Thanks for the Suggestions, but I do know that the Graphics card must somehow be able to disable the VGA Mode in order to become a secondary adapter. Also Sithl0rd is correct I can use multiple PCI Slots, Win2000 will allow up to 10 Display Adapters. I am currently trying to do this with Onboard Video, a SIS 63 3D, and a ATI Expert 98, and it does not want to work.

Might sound like a dumb question, but I've not done this before:
if you have say 2 monitors connected to one machine, how do you control what's displayed on monitor number 2?
or do both monitors display the same thing?
if yes, why would you want 2 monitors?

As I said, not done this before, but I am very interested...

cheers

You can put another desktop on the second monitor, Brainfood. Have, say, Word running on one monitor and Excel simultaneously on another. I seem to recall it's limited only by the number of PCI slots you have. I think you need an update to your BI/OS to use AGP and ISA is a no-no.

thanks Rhort,

but how?

If I'm looking at monitor 1 now. I open word. Now I open Excel, how does it move from monitor 1 to monitor 2.
Do you drag it off the screen of monitor 1, and then it appears on monitor 2?

I know it sounds stupid, but I want to know as much as pos. before I buy another video card.

Cheers

I think you also have to put the PCI Video card in the first PCI slot or it won't work.

Yup, Brainfood, just drag and drop; program windows, icons, even your taskbar.

When you install a second card into a Win98 machine, the desktop 'Settings' tab changes slightly to include a graphic showing both monitors and a "Strech my desktop over both monitors" checkbox. It works like a charm, MUCH better that I thought it might when I first heard about this (underadvertised) feature.

I usually run my little 14" monitor with my desktop, e-mail and a Genome@Home client open, with my main 21" monitor for playing Unreal, or QuakeIII or something. The 14" is running off an 32Mb NVIDIA TNT2 64, but used to have a 4Mb Diamond Stealth 3D quite happily. The 21" runs off a GeForce 3 Ti200.

One thing to note is that (contrary to my previous post), only with the advent of Windows 2000 does this feature allow use of AGP cards :-(

Windows 2000 has know issues with Dual Monitors for Radeon 7500, although this will work fine in XP and 98.

This will most likely apply to any Radeon as they use the same Chip etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back