Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple DIDs on copper trunks?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draeus

Technical User
Jan 21, 2013
US
My boss is about to bid an install and I got a little confused when I was told about it. He is saying the user has multiple DIDs on copper trunks. Not that it isn't possible, but it's not something I have seen before. Usually only with SIP and PRI have I seen multiple lines run on one connection. So, first of all, is that possible? And secondly, will Avaya handle that? I'm guessing the set up would be just like a PRI, but I figured I would check before I'm thrown into it. Thanks for the info!!

If you are located in North America, copper trunks usually denote analog lines (flat-rate business lines, 1fbs, COs, whatever you wish to call them). As such, you CANNOT have DIDs on analog facilities.

DIDs are only available on digital facilities like T1, T1-PRI, and other technologies like SIP.

If you are in EMEA, you can do DIDs on ISDN2 (BRI) or ISDN30 (E1) and SIP.

Good call, don't get yourself into trouble. :)

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to have him dig a little more into it before throwing me in. Thanks!!

There used to be DDI/DIDs over analogue trunks and I think some systems still support it :)

There is still quite a bit of analog DID service in North America, and though its been at least 10 years since I've worked with it they were typically wink start signaling. I did quite a bit of those on Norstar systems back in the day.

As mentioned, the IPO doesn't support analog DID, so it'll be time to look towards a different type of service if they want to keep their DID numbers.

Hmmm, ok. Definitely more to check into first then. Thanks for all the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back