Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Detail Band on a Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendz

Programmer
Aug 9, 2000
PH
Visit site
Hi! I find this problem very difficult and I hope you will ben still generous to share for what will be my effective solution. My problem is: I have Fields like Educational Backgound, Work Experience and Organizations. I want this to be displayed in same page. What I know that it would be best to put in a detail band. This are different tables with a similar structure. Putting this each field would be true in the detail band if I have only one entry. But if I have many entries on those fields that i used, only one entry appears on each field or it will loop in a single detail band. My last option would be to place this fields on a separate page having a detail band for each. But I'm thinking that it would be a waste of paper if I will be having these numerous pages just to print this fields since this fields are almost ten. By the way, the stucture of the table is similar to this: idcode(Numeric), desciption(text), Inclusive Dates(Text) since dates are not used for searching and to lessen the number of entry fields. Is it possible that I will be having numeries detail band on a single page? If possible, how am I gonna do it? If not possible what would be the best thing that I could do since I can't revise the structure anymore? Thanks for your Help and More Power to YOU All.

Wendz
edbb@lycos.com

If you cannot revise structure of report cursor - that's bad. The best solution is put all things you need to display into a single record into separate fields, and than use grouping by recno() to display different fields in different bands.

Vlad Grynchyshyn
vgryn@softserve.lviv.ua
The professional level of programmer could be determined by level of stupidity of his/her bugs

When I have to do this, here is what I do.
1. I run a SQL query for each Child table, This SQL does nothing but rename the fields so all the new "Child" tables have the same fields names.
2. Create a Temp table and import all the "Child" tables into it.
3. Set a relation from the Temp Table into the "Parent"
4. Run the report
5. Deleted the temp table.

David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

Thanks Vlad and Dave ofr the tips. Dave, can you kindly give me a sample command on how sql works in renaming fields and to import? My temporary solution before works only if I separate that fields on a detail band of every page. If only a multiple detail band is available. Anyway, I'll try your suggestions. Thanks a lot..

Wendz
edbb@lycos.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back