Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple date values in fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpmINFO

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2004
US
How to handle multiple dates in the fact table, should thisbe set as foreign key to the date dim table .Any help on getting me to know the efficient design would be highly appreciated...

Fact----
date1
date2
date3
LineItem

There would be three foreign keys to the date table, one foreach date.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Can there be another bridge tables whcih can be used to handle this or are there pros and cons following this procedure if so please can you elaborate on this ..??

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is and why you want to add the complexity of another bridge table and the joins that go with it.

Having multiple joins to the date dimension is quite common. For instance, consider legal activity. You have date suit filed, date arbitration offered, date plea entered, date trial begins, date trial ends, date of appeal, statute of limitations date, etc.

Can you, perhaps, elaborate on your situation and/or why you don't want to have three joins to the date dimension?

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back