Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

mksmks

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
SG
Hi,

I have to access from 3 databases in the catalog thru ODBC. I created the logical database for each of them in Impromptu.
I first created the catalog with few tables from 1st databse. Then when I wanted to include tables from other database into the catalog, I selected another corresponding db in the Tables screen. As soon as this is done, the first (original) db name changes to the new one. And hence all the tables in it are invalid.

I assume we have to proceed the same way for accessing multiple dbs. But couldnt succeed.

So how to access multiple databases? Is there any setting?
Please help me in this.

Thanks

You can't have multiple databases at the same time

Two soultions;

1. Use hotfiles
2. Use one database engine to link to tables in the 3 databases and base Imptomptu over this database. This technique is covered in the latest issue of Supportlink, availiable on the web in PDF format

Regards

Tony Goldsmith

one workaround i have employed is to create a view that contains data/tables from multiple databases. create the view in one database and access the information via odbc to that database.

chrys

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.

But then any idea what is meant by "accessing multiple databases simultaneously" in the documentation of the impromptu help.

What the Docs don't add (and most people assume it means) is AT THE SAME TIME.

Impromptu has a fairly impressive number of data sources it can report from, but it does have the limitation of only one (+ hotfiles) at one time. There have been some vendors that supply a multi-access ODBC tool (Metagon's DQPowerSuite being one). I've seen them at the vendor partner boths at the Cognos International User Conference, but I can't speak to the success of their products personally.

Regards,

Dave Griffin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back