Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysanthalbee

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
RO
our company is using a third party interface for association management. cognos is the custom report application chosen by the vendor. there are already some reports written in cognos and the interface allows the user to choose a report that will open impromptu and run the report.

we have been told (since we have multiple databases) that the interface will choose the appropriate database as long as we have two dsns set up, eg. database and databasedsn. this seems to work with the catalogs and reports that came with the application. however, my custom reports have been pulling up only data from one database.

my question: is there a way that one dsn is defaulted into the report or catalog?

basically i want one report to be set up to be flexible enough to be used with all the databases.

thanks in advance,
chrysanthalbee

Without knowing the logic used by the third party vendor interface, I cannot speak to why it would work for 'standard' reports but not for 'custom' reports' unless the 'custom' reports are being run outside of the interface, in which case the interface logic is bypassed.

The mechanism to change the database connection most often used it to change the logical-to-physical database connection information in the Cognos.ini file. I often do this with a simple DOS batch file that toggles the values by overwritting this file with one of two set copies that have the desired database values.

If you are working outside of the third party interface for your custom reports, you may have to do something like this to allow the reports to toggle between databases.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

thanks for the input dave. it seems that the application adjusts the cognos.ini when it calls up a report. i asked the tech lead (from the vendor) on our implementation about this problem and he said it has to do with setting up a logical database. i have the logical database set up similarly to the manner in which the vendor's reports are set up but i still find that when i open the custom report in database 'B' it still pulls up data from database 'A'.

i've asked for documentation on the setup of cognos reports through the third party app but i still haven't seen any of it. the new release came out during our implementation so the changes that have been made haven't been released as customer-ready documentation.

chrysanthalbee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back