Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Dabase use in an Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabedin

Programmer
Feb 24, 2004
AU
Hi there,

I was doing a test with few tables from multiple SQL database within same server. The response does not look good at all. Did anyone have some experience and trick in this line. This will be highly appreciated.

Is there a way to link database sitting in different server?

Regd
Jay

I've done this many times. What problem are you having? If the data can be reached by a single connection, it runs the same as it would in the actual database.

This is more of a SQL issue than a BO one.

Steve Krandel
Symantec

The database is sitting in two different server and have different connection.

I think using different data provider with separate universe with a common link could be a way. I wonder if there is a way to link two database in two different connection>?

Thank you Steve for your quick reply.

Regards
Jay

If databases are on the same server, then it is a matter of changing the table owner (if were talking a few tables)
Otherwise you can use 2 universes and switch dataprovider within a document.

The first option is an advantage of MSSQL which allows you to adress tables in different databases (same server) as a sort of schema.

Ties Blom

It depends. I know Oracle can use dblinks which are views that read from other source. BO sees these just fine. They are slow.

If SQL Server has a gateway that can do this, then it will work.

I'm pretty sure BO is working on a product as well that can bring data together from different sources at runtime.

Steve Krandel
Symantec

I'm pretty sure BO is working on a product as well that can bring data together from different sources at runtime.

Strictly speaking, full client has always had this ability

Ties Blom

Ties,
What I'm saying is that they have discussed and mentioned at conferences the concept of the heterogeneous join. This means a single SQL statement that runs through some gateway and actually joins data from disparate databases at the SQL level.

Steve Krandel
Symantec

Hi Steve/Ties,

Thank you very much for your attention and advise in this issue. I tried with the first option, having two separate universe which links to different server and database. I had two dataprovider with a common linked field. Which is working fine.

Best Regards
Jay

Steve,

Yes, I know about heterogeneous joins. Would be a pretty powerful option if BO can work this into their solutions.
However, it would be an easier task if the big RDBMS suppliers would stick more closely to ANSI99. There is little drive for them to realign their dialects..

Ties Blom

Well, makes you wonder If the're ever sold a license :)

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back