Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple copies of same message (outlook)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferC

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
US
Hello ..

Using Outlook 97. One user receiving multiple copies of same message. For example: Message one come through and then 20 more of same come through. Message two comes through and then 20 more of same .. and so on. Did a full scan with updated virus sig and came up nil (was suprised). Any ideas as to what this could point to. Corrupt Outlook inbox? Only one user with problem. Also important note: we are using a team internet box .. stores and forwards only.

Thank you in advance.. Jen

sounds like a corrupted inbox. Rename the outbox.dbx file, and have it re-create itself. Hope this helps :)

clgx299@earthlink.net
I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

Need more information.

Sounds more like forwarding or some form of autoresponse could be screwed on the team internet box (whatever that is) . eg. the message is received by each of 20 people 19 of whom copy one of the recipients (team leader?) in on the email.

That sort of scenario, perhaps.

Regards

FYI .. deleted outbox.dbx, restarted outlook and dup messages have stopped.

I'm having the same problem. Running NT 4.0 and Outlook 97.
Can't find a file named outbox.dbx or any file with an extension of .dbx

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken

Received a message from the user stating that the problem started up again. Ken .. I will keep you posted as to what we try next. Outbox.dbx in under (in NT) profiles\user\app data\identities ...etc. On win95 - windows\application data\identities .. etc.

just an idea. does the user with the problem have a rule running?

If you're using Outlook Express version 4.0, it uses ,mbx files rather than the .dbx format.

If you're using version 5.0, here's something that might helkp:

OLEXP: Outlook Express 5 Downloads the Same E-Mail Message Multiple Times

------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Outlook Express version 5 for Windows 95
Microsoft Outlook Express version 5 for Windows 98

------------------------------------------------------------
SYMPTOMS
Outlook Express 5 may download the same e-mail message multiple times.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur when you have multiple e-mail accounts on the same POP3 server, and one account is configured to remove e-mail messages from the server and another is configured to leave e-mail messages on the server.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, configure all POP3 accounts to either leave a copy of the e-mail messages on the server or delete the e-mail messages from the server after the messages are downloaded. To do so, use the following steps:

In Outlook Express, click Tools, and then click Accounts.

On the Mail tab, click the mail account, and then click Properties.

On the Advanced tab in the Delivery section, click to select the Leave a copy of messages on server check box, and then choose the appropriate option for removing the messages from the server.

NOTE: If you want to download all your messages to your computer, click to clear the Leave a copy of messages on server check box, click Apply, click OK, and then click Close.

Click Apply, click OK, and then click Close.

Repeat steps 2-4 for each e-mail account listed.

reghakr

Checked rules and also saw the microsoft tech notes on multiple email accounts on same POP3 (but thank you).

Removed a demo of antivirus software and was able to stop the repetitive emails being sent yesterday. I would say it was a symptom of a virus on the 'originating' pc, however, other recipients of same messages are not having this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back