Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Contacts in To field from Access to Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminus

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hi there im try in to move a whole load of email addresses from a table to an email. I came up with the following:

Private Sub cmdAutoMailout_Click()

Dim db As Database
Dim strSQL As String

Set db = CurrentDb()

strSQL = "SELECT tblcontacts.EastForwardPDF FROM tblcontacts WHERE tblcontacts.EastForwardPDF = Yes"

DoCmd.SendObject acSendNoObject, , , strSQL, , , , , True

End Sub

But this didnt work it only moved the the actual statement into the to field in Outlook. Kinda see how it went wrong, but i dont know how to get the SQL to execute or pick up the names i need. Can anyone help, im a fairly new user to vb and really need some help.

Terminus

HI Terminus,

in order to get all the email addresses, you will need to create a recordset and loop through that recordset to grab all the email addresses.

you query seems to define only the (assumption) yes/no field but no email fields. you might want to change your query to either include ALL fields (use *) or at least an email field.

Below is some code I threw together to give you an example of what I mean.

the example will build an SQL statement, use the SQL to open a recordset, loop through the recordset to grab all the email addresses, then build one email string with all the names seperated by a (;).

'******begin code****
Option Compare Database

Sub TekTipEmail()
On Error GoTo errhandler:

Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQL As String
Dim strEmail As String

Set db = CurrentDb()

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblcontacts WHERE tblcontacts.EastForwardPDF = Yes" 'i used a wild card to grab all fields that match Yes in the EastForwardPDF field

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenSnapshot) 'used the strSQL string to open a recordset

rs.MoveLast

strEmail = ""

With rs
If .RecordCount > 0 Then
.MoveFirst
For i = 1 To .RecordCount
If Len(!CustEmail) > 0 Then '<---CustEmail is the field from my table that had email addresses
strEmail = strEmail & !CustEmail & &quot;;&quot; '<---start building string and use (;) to seperate
End If
.MoveNext '<---move to the next record
Next i

strEmail = Left$(strEmail, Len(strEmail) - 1) '<---trim off the unneeded space and (;)

End If

End With

DoCmd.SendObject acSendNoObject, , , strEmail, , , &quot;Insert Subject&quot;, &quot;Insert Message Body&quot;, True '<---send email to everyone in strEmail

Exit Sub

errhandler:

msgbox Err.number & &quot; &quot; & Err.Description
Exit Sub

End Sub
'*******end code******

HTH

Have A Great Day!!!, [bigglasses]

Nathan
Software Testing Lead

Just so you realize your first error,
you Dim strSQL As String
and then say that your string equals a bunch of text within your quotes.

follow nathan and you'll be fine.

Motto:&quot;I don't know everything, but with this forum, i can find out anything!&quot;

Thanks for all of your great help!

Thank you for your swift reply i get the code but now im getting the error:

variable not Defined. In the debugger it then highlights the 'i' in the code:

With rs
If .RecordCount > 0 Then
.MoveFirst
For i = 1 To .RecordCount
If Len(!tblcontacts!Email) > 0 Then '<---CustEmail is the field from my table that had email addresses
strEmail = strEmail & !tblcontacts!Email & &quot;;&quot; '<---start building string and use (;) to seperate
End If
.MoveNext '<---move to the next record
Next i

Can you help?

Terminus

HI terminus,

Dim i as Integer

place that at the top of the code. It just needed to be defined as a variable.

HTH

Nathan
Software Testing Lead

Many thanks,

It works a treat!!!!!!

Terminus

Just one query, the button works fine. Though when its cancelled you cannot the script wont run until the database is closed and opened, can you help?

Terminus

Terminus,

are you receiving an error? its sounds as if you are getting the dreaded 2501 (i think) error. what version of Access are you running?

Nathan
Software Testing Lead

Yes when i cancel the email, i get the dreaded 2501 error. What is it and can u help? Im running Access 2000

Terminus

Hi Terminus,

To be honest, I dont have a precise answer for you. This problem started when MS put out a security patch last year or so. I'm not sure, but i think the issue was addressed in an Office update package. i tried to find the article this morning but havent found it. i'll keep looking. below are a couple of links i did find.

link describes error:

also, it might not hurt to check for any updates on the office package:

one other option is to maybe use Outlook to send your emails. however, the security update forces the user to &quot;ok&quot; each email that gets sent via Outlook. so, each method poses different challenges.

there might be some other threads in Tek-Tips that offer other suggestions but i havent looked for them. Maybe someone else will stop by and shed some more light on this 2501 error message for us.

Nathan
Software Testing Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back