Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple connections on SBC dsl 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buspar101

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
I recently unpacked one of my computers and wanted to put it online. When I had 3 all running at a previous address, I was using Interquest as my provider via T1. For that isp I just used a Linksys 5 port hub. That does not seem to work with SBC. I really don't want to go get a router. Any ideas?

either you need to rent 3 IP addresses for the ISP (no idea if SBC even offers this) or you need a router, either in hardware or software I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I had no idea there were software routers. Thats something to look into.

I will call sbc, but it is like pulling teeth talking to those people.

on a mac OSX has one built in, OS9 uses IP NEt Router (commercial software)
for PCs Sygate home gateway is commercial software, and I think ICS is built into recent Windows.

hardware prices will be lower than software prices I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

You can pick up a Linksys BEFSR-41 pretty cheap these days...Just check out eBay.

Netgear router rp614 for $80 works good and their tech support is excellent too. I saw a Cisco pic501 put up recently. It went up easily and, once up, SBC Yahoo's bubblegum is no longer needed. Got to remember to tell the PIC what are the ip addresses of your DNS servers. I'm fairly certain the RP614 can get by without the Enternet 300 pppoe bubblegum also.

Linksys router is very cheap. Certainly cheaper than paying for additional IP addresses. In my area (SF Bay Area) SBC only offers either a dynamic IP address or a block of 6 addresses (255.255.255.248 subnet). They don't offer just 3. This is the nature of the /29 subnet. But SBC charges about $20/month more for the upgraded service. In just four months, you just bought yourself a router.

NT4 certainly has software routing. You get to it through the network applet and set it. Its usually said that the host has to be multi-homed, ie have more than one nic, but its Advanced Option allows one to assign multiple IP addresses to the same nic so I suppose it doesnt even really have to have more than one nic.

I imagine it works as well as the hardware router since I've never seen anyone say it won't ( seems strange to me how little the nt4 software router is mentioned at all!?)

My 2 cents.

snowe: "multhomed" just means it belongs to more than one network, not necessarily using more than one NIC.

buspar101: you can call SBC all you want -- the only way you can hook up multiple PCs WITHOUT using a router is if SBC provide multiple IPs, which normally incurs extra charges. not really worth it...

Software routing: look for the RRAS (Routing & Remote Access Service); available under WinNT & 2000.

Also, all Windows versions (since Win98 SE) offer ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - basically a routing system.

That said - a regular "linksys DSL router" (or other brand) would be so much easier to set up :)

<marc>[ul]help us help![li]please give us feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back