Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple choice in Option Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSC5905

Technical User
Apr 30, 2004
US
In my database I need the user’s to select multiple choices from an Option Group. For example, the Option Group has 30 choices. The operator can chose from 0 to all 30 choices. Once the user has made there selection, I will need to query only the selected data and put it in a report. My approach was to create a table and add the 30 options as text box’s and set the data type as yes/no. Is there a better way of doing this? I am pretty new with MS Access and did not know how to approach this problem. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Jonesy

yes there is a better way. First you need to read the Fundamentals document in the link below. Your existing design is "committing spreadsheet". Can you tell us a little bit more about what these options are and what they pertain too?

Thanks

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for anyone working with databases: The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

The Option Group is for chemical use. The operator will select by checking all a box that applies to him/her. The check box would be on the left side of each option.

CHEMICAL USE HISTORY
Alcohol
Heroin
Crack
Cocaine
Marijuana
Hallucinogens
LPCP
Benzodiazepines
Sedatives
Inhalants
Barbiturates
Methamphetamines
Other stimulants
Nicotine/Tobacco
Non-Prescribed Methadone
Caffeine/Coffee/Soda
Other tranquilizers
Sedative/Hypnotics
Other Opiates/Synthetics (Daladid, Morphine, etc)
Other amphetamines (Crystal, Crank, etc

Ok then somewhere you are storing the OperatorID, you are going to want to create another table that will store the operatorID and the specific Chemicals used:

Operator
OperatorID
Name
Address

Chemicals
ChemicalID
ChemicalName

OperatorChemicals
OperatorID
ChemicalID

The OperatorChemicals table is a standard "junction" table. You could eliminate the Chemicals table and just store:

Operator
OperatorID
Name
Address

OperatorChemicals
OperatorID
ChemicalName

However by keeping the chemicals in a table you don't end up with misspellings in the ChemicalName Field and it's easy to add new chemical choices by adding a new record in the Chemicals table.

HTH

Leslie

How do display all of the chemicals as a group on a form and select as many of the options (chemicals) that are displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back