Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Call Ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossman57

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2010
US
Multiple Call Ringing: how does it work and how do you set it up. Also, if all MCR's are busy how do I get the calls to go to voice mail. Thanks.

MCR is a poor mans ACD, all the phones ring at the same time when the call is picked up by one of the phones and another call comes in the rest of them ring until picked up by a phone until all the phones have a call. IF you have the MCR on the PDN Key and the phone is FDN to voicemail and all phones are busy with a call the next call goes to voicemail. If you don't have the phone FDN to voicemail the caller will hear a ringback until a phone becomes available.

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

All appearances ring, then upon answer, all remaining appearances go idle and are ready for the next call.

If you have four desks, each with an appearance of the MCR and you become understaffed - there is not a way one person at one phone can manage the calls, because the subsequent calls go to the empty desks.

Note that during the time an MCR is ringing, all appearances are busy, and HUNT is performed.

To get the calls to voice mail, rely on FDN.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com
--

Okay. let me get this straight. If I have eight phones each with eight appearances of the MCR and ALL are busy, the next call will HUNT per the programming of the particular phone that the MCR appears?

Not quite, you only need to have one appearance per phone, there is a maximum of 30 (I think) per MCR. So your example of 8 appearances on 8 phones (=64 appearances) would not be programmable. If you have the resources you might consider having a dummy phone with the MCR MARP'd on it to FDN or HUNT to where you want it, that way, you have control and not the user of the phone.

Remember if you have a dummy phone, all live agents could be on calls, and then the dummay phones rings - but you cannot answer it. That is why FDN is crucial.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com
--

Just don't use MCR for any urgent/emergency types of calls. Ring/no answer (or even worse - voice mail) is not a good thing when someone's well being is in danger and needs help fast.

In your scenario of 8 phones with 8 MCR appearances, you should be looking at an ACD package on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back