Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple calendars in one

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranebow

Programmer
Mar 8, 2003
US
I'm using Outlook 2002. There are three computers on a home network. Two of the 3 computers will be used by individuals...the 3rd is in the kitchen. Would like to have a "combined" calendar in the kitchen with appointments regarding the family...birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

If I put something on my calendar on my computer how could I selectively put it on the kitchen calendar also? Thought about setting up a bogus email account and automatically accept all invites, but was hoping there was a better way.

Not positive about this, but I believe the only way to get a shared calendar is with Exchange, and shared calendars are not available to the stand alone versions of Outlook.

Create a calendar.
From Outlook Help:

Create additional calendars
In addition to the default Microsoft Outlook Calendar, you can create other Outlook calendars. For example, you can create a calendar for your personal appointments.

On the Go menu, click Folder Llist.
In the Folder List, in the Navigation Pane, right-click the Calendar folder, and then click New Folder.
In the Name box, type a name for the new calendar, such as Personal Calendar.
Note You cannot use the additional calendars as your default for scheduling with other people.

Open your calendar on each pc, on the left of screen, open a shared calendar.

I hope this is what you want.
Good luck.

Chris

Chris,
I've created other calendars but now it's only in MY PST file and not in a COMBINED calendar. If I have an Outlook file and the other person does too we both can't get to the combined, correct? It would only be in one file or the other.

I don't want to share the PST file because then all the emails would be in one also, correct?

You can create one calendar for both to use, but I'm not sure if you can combine two or more users into one calendar.

Chris

I had a similar problem when our office forced us all to move to Outlook. I had been a die-hard user of Lotus Organizer which allowed other calendars to "show through" into my calendar.

When we moved to Outlook...I wanted to continue to do the same thing. Have multiple calendars from multiple users that we could each edit and view ALL of the calendars in ONE nice neat calendar. Unfortunately, our IT person researched and researched....everything came back to the one stipulation.....we HAD to have MS Exchange to make this happen. As we are non-profit organization, we can not afford Exchange.

Unless you wish to spend LOTS of $$ on Exchange....

If you're a non-profit, then you get Exchange for almost NOTHING. I just got a copy of Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition and it was only a grand. ENTERPRISE! For a GRAND!

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back