Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple BO Universes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedInfoMan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2002
US
Several of us here have access to three different BO implementations. These implementeations were developed by different groups. When we start BO, we pick which database we wish to log onto, log on , and begin our session.

We'd like to be able to bring data into one session from two of the databases, pulling data with a different data provider for each. It's implied when we can create a new dataprovider from a different universe, but when we're logged onto one database, we can see the other universes from the other implementations.

Accounts are maintained by the different developer groups, and each of us has a different logon id & password for each of the BO implementations.

It's hard to get access to the developers, but is it a fairly trivial matter for the development team of one application to allow access to the univers of a different application?

Thanks for any insight.

This sounds totally unnecessary.

I've done projects where we combined 6 repostiories into 1. You simply have to define your Supervisor groups well.

Then you can use BO security to control who has access to what.

This leave you with 1 repository, and maybe separate domains for the different groups.

The big benefit is that you can access all of this from 1 WebI server.

Am I understanding the problem right? Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group

Given that I had a careless typo, (we CAN'T see the other two universes of interest when we try to create a new data provider), I think you understood fine.

Are you saying that the separate universes must be put into the same repository? Each universe has a separate development team and is maintained by different sister organizations. Is it practical for one of these teams to architect something that simply allows the other universes to be linked to, maybe with some small amount of cooperation from the other groups? It would not be feasible for one team to alter the other team's universe.

I don't have access to the designer components of BO, but would like to be able to pass information to the functional requirements workgroup.

Thanks,

If you give each group their own Universe and Document domains, you will have 1 virtual repository. You can then completely limit their ability to see each others stuff. They won't be able to change or even view the other universes.

You can give the users the ability to use all of them. The only people that would be restricted would be the developers.

****Note: This means the developers can't use General Supervisor ids to do their work.

If you want to discuss offline, write to me at skrandel@baseconsulting.com Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back