Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple AD domains, one exchange server. Possible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblewis

MIS
Jun 25, 2003
US
I have a client who is insisting that he wants to have a forest root domain, several child domains, a *single* exchange server, and seemless, single authentication in outlook and Windows.

I've tried googling, but all I seem to come up with is the "Hosted Exchange" model. I know that isn't what I want, because we have already tried that.

If the forest root domain is foo.local, the customer expects to end up with the AD (child)domains aaa.foo.local and bbb.foo.local both of which have mailboxes housed on an exchange server, "exch.foo.local"

Is this doable? If so, how?

Thanks!

Yes this can be done. Because the users are in the same forest.

Setup Exchange with SP2 and on the DC for the Child Domains install the Exchange Server Tools and the Exchange Service Pack 2.

Within AD Users & Computers right click an account and choose Exchange Tasks. Choose Create Mailbox.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

MarkDmac is correct..

We are in the middle of doing the exact same consolidation on a larger scale.

Of course, the client adds a twist... Since the rule is that as long as it is in the same forest we are all good...

So it shouldn't matter if it is a child domain of the forest root domain, or if it is root domain in the same forest.

Is that statement valid??

Thanks!

JB

Scherin, at the risk of getting off topic (off forum?) how are you consolidating the domain controllers? Virtualization?

JB

Consolidating the DC's isn't in the current project..

The DC's will remain at the current sites,

In the future we may bring a DC for each domain onto our Data Center for DR. That will either be on Blades or VM's

The new child domain for exchange currently has 3 global catalog servers, 6 Dell 6850's for exchange servers attached to a CX700 SAN, This should handle about 16,000 mailboxes.

Final configuration after consolidation will be 12 exchange servers, 3 GC's, 2 CX700 SANs and 4 Replication manager servers (for backing up the snaps on the san) total mailboxes will be about 26,000 with room to grow.

Our current system is 48 domains, 40 Admin groups, 58 exchange servers across 48 physical sites in 16 states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back