Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple 7942's become no-op following a physical relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelInMyBlood

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
US
I have roughly 1300 or so 7942 instruments that have now been in service approx 5 years. About 3 months ago we began noticing occasional random sets would not recover (would no longer boot-up) following a physical move. We've been bringing these sets back into the shop and finding that they are indeed dead. I've had approx 15 fail on me within the past 3 months. Upon plugging in, the headset, mute, speaker and both lines light up for a second or so, then the speaker button goes steady green and remains in that condition.

All of these sets are 7942 and have been in service since July of '09 and were functioning fine right up until the moment the end user moved to another cube. After the set is moved and reconnected it seems to die. Replacement sets work fine. This is occurring randomly, all over the building (500,000 sq.ft.) The switches are all 3560-G 48-port POE.

The problem just started about 3 months ago. I can understand an occasional instrument crapping out, but I've lost 5 of them just this week. What's going on?

Thanks in advance!

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Anyone Else?

These (now 5-yr-old) 7942's are dropping like flies, still ongoing, at the rate of between 1 & 2 per week. I've had an additional 10 fail since my original posting. They are not failing in seervice, only when rebooted.

My real concern is that I'm about to do a major upgrade from 8.x to 10.x and also replace CUCM hardware, changing from physical to virtual as well as firmware upgrades to the instruments. I fear I'm going to have a tsunami of 7942's to replace.

We had the exact same problem with a 7965 (which is built on same components as the 7942-45-62 models).

I attempted every possible way to recover the phone, however recovery was not possible.
The phone does not get to a state where it can respond to requests (it DOES obtain a network address, but nothing further).
I don't remember the hardware revision of the phone, however I had noticed that others had reported this issue online and stated the phones had to be returned for replacement.

Are all your phones the same 7942 hardware revision?

The ones that are failing are the same hdwe rev. However, they are all out of warranty & hassle & cost on repairs difficult to justify the time & paperwork. We've just tossed most of them, don't have time to fool with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back