Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multilingual website

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicysudhi

Programmer
Nov 10, 2003
FR
Hi

I need some input on designing a multilingual website. I user Oracle database UTF-8. Need to store Western European and Czech characters.

mainly with the Charset property in ASP pages and registry settings for Oracle.

I used utf-8 as charset in ASp and the data characters of portugal (for example ça) are storing displaying junk. If i set to central european then everything works fine. but data storage in the tables is HTMl encode format (example í stored as &igrove ;)

I want the data to be stored in perfect format (characters), since we are using the same database for other applications (where data downloaded to csv files).

if someone has developed website, please guide me. The encoding format u use, database characterset, entry in registry for Oracle, etc.

thanks and regards,
sudhi

hi sudhi

I have developed a multilingual site with english/US/French/ spanish/ german. Basically i used an xml to store the language files then the asp page fed of these. Iw will have a look and see if i can find the characterset used etc.

Andrew

thanks.

for english, frnech, german all come under western european charset. but if u go for others, say czech as i am trying that falls into cetal european. combining both is a problem

regards,
sudhi

I know the character set was controlled from within each language xml file so this might work. I think i would have had problems using chinese etc because of these characters.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back