Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multilevel Drop Down Menu Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rifter1

Technical User
Jun 1, 2006
US
Attached is the problem file:

What it shows:

In the layout called "Worksheet Simple"
You can select the Ceiling Type.
This drop-down list is generated from existing values in the Layout called "4A Ceilings" via a relationship.
This works correctly.

Now the second menu:
You can select the "Insulation" type.
This list is generated in the exact same manner as the drop down list above, however, it shows ALL values. Not the ones valid for the ceiling type selected in the first menu.

Since it is Matching the value the user selected from the first menu to the Table in 4A, it shouldn't show ALL values, just the ones that are related... shouldn't it?

P.S. the relationships that apply are in PINK dialogs,
All the other ones are not important. All the variables related to ceilings start with the word "Ceiling".

Sorry for the mess, deleted 95% of all the tables and relationships to make it easy to see.

Rifter, you're right, it's a mess.
I worked for nearly a half hour rearanging your relationship graph ro have a clear view.

Avoid crossing lines in your graph. I know it's not always possible, but in this part yes, I have not one crossing line. Work more from left to right, expand you graph to the right. Rearrange you TOC in such a way you don't have crossing lines.
This way you will see that for your second valuelist you need a 3th TO, based on your needed values.

1 TO with a combination for your first value list.
Out of this you can have the match field where your second valuelist is based on and out of that you have your final valuelist to make choices.

HTH

Thanks very much, I'm on a call atm, but when I get home I'll take a look at this.

Ya ... about rearranging the relationships...

I'll tell you what, later on I'll post the relationships as they looked BEFORE I cut them down -- trust me, I am only about half done with the links. They are... well... numerous.

Also keep in mind this is still my first database, thanks for the tips, I'm still learning as I go here.

That's why you have to keep order in your 'graphhouse'.

If you don't and you have to return a few weeks later to your graph you hit a wall.
You just don't know where what is....

Expand as much as you can to the right and down.
Avoid as much as you can crossing lines, and if you have a crossing line, put the TO as far as you can, so that it is clear where the line is going and coming from.

...ok well between my 2-year old, my wife, and trying to find time to work on this, and my regular job -- It's well after midnight, and I still haven't figured out what I'm missing... will try more tomorrow...

Look at the definition of your used valuelist.

Ceiling a Type is a drop down list.

You want a restricted value list in Ceiling Insulation R Value.
Look where this value is, and how/if it is tied to the Ceiling insulation R value (Table with both values).
You need a valuelist from those two fields with the relationship over it. (value list content, check include only related values, the apropriate relationship)
This will give you the restricted valuelist, based on the choice made in Ceiling Insulation R Value.

THANKS so much for your help! IT WORKS.

But now that created another problem: The second value list does not refresh automatically.

I have to "click off" all fields if I go back to the first list and make any changes. Otherwise the second list will not refresh. Open the file you will see what I mean -- I made extensive notes on the layout so you can see the problem yourself --

Currently I don-t see where the problem is....

I click in Type, which gives me a 3 row list:
Ceiling Below Roof Joists
Ceiling on Exposed Beams
Ceiling Under Vented Attic

after a choice is made the cursor jumpes to the Insulation field and shows the corresponding value list ....

Ceiling Below Roof Joists
No insulation
R-10 board
R-11 cavity insulation
etc...

Ceiling on Exposed Beams
1.5" Wood, no insulation
1.5" Wood, R-10 insulation
1.5" Wood, R-12 insulation

Ceiling Under Vented Attic
None
R-11
R-13
R-15
etc...

exactly as it shold.....

When you make a choice in Type, the cursor kumps to Insulation, if you make no choice there and click outside the field, the insulation field stays empty, as it should also; no choice made....

As far as I can see, no problem in behavior here....

I'm more concerned about you a,b,c, column/field/row.
If it is what I think it is....you're making a design flaw there....

(A) Select a "Type"
(B) cursor jumps, select a "Insulation"
(C) DO NOT DESELECT THE FIELD
(D) Change the selection in "Type" (the first column) again
(E) Insulation list will NOT update.

Regarding the (a) (b) (c)

There will be 2 versions of this load calculation program. One will be the complete "Pro" version. You will "create" a new window record in the "Windows" layout, for EACH window. There are many factors that will be entered/selected for EACH window.

This is the correct way to do a load calculation.

However due to response from some test subjects, this is way over their head. This is why I'm creating a "Simple" Version. It will use all the same tables and values, only the user will make far fewer choices. A lot of assumptions will be made regarding construction types.. this will produce an "average" result for the whole database, but it a good way to get some of these guys started.

Our current load calculation (paper and pen with tables and a form) DOES make a lot of assumptions. With the simple version of the database, these same assumptions will be made. You can enter only 3 ceiling types. AThis is adequate for most homes. And is the way our manual form works at the moment.

The worksheet you see this sample from is the "Simple" user interface.

On your computer:
(A) Select a "Type"
(E) Insulation list will NOT update.

On my computer:

(A) Select a "Type"
(E) Insulation is empty, no matter which choice I make in "Type" (as it should), as long as you do not make a new choice in the Insulation field.....(as it should)

No problem here.....

yes it's empty, untilI select it, and the drop-down list appears, populated with the OLD values, (incorrect ones).

At least, it's doing this on my laptop.

Ok let me ask this: is there a way that, once you select a value in a field you can force it to be de-selected?

I can't reproduced the behavior here...
Check your fieldformat...and fieldset-up...

For the de-selecting, only by script with the commit record step, exit record or goto field().

Maybe it's a PC thing, are you on a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back