Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multihoming without BGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMALX

ISP
Apr 4, 2001
US
I'm trying to do multihoming without BGP (eventually BGP will be implemented) using a T3 and a T1 to two seperate service providers. How can I do this?

Thanks,
-Tom

I'm fighting this right now with multiple T1's to two different providers. I can route inbound no problem but outbound traffic is problematic. Provider A sends me 216.253.XXX.XXX and provider B sends me 12.58.XXX.XXX and if I set up load balancing by

IP ROUTE 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 216.253.XXX.001
IP ROUTE 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 12.58.XXX.001

I get flakey performance. I see this has been here since April... is this just not possible? I was hoping to be able to apply an access list or some form of source based static route so that if the source address is 12.X it goes to gateway 2 and if source address is 216.X it goes to gateway 1.

how do you plan to use this T3 and T1 channels?
what want you have at the end??

I solved my problem with route-map

I set up a route-map for each providers IP addresses to go to their respective outbound gateways and my problems went away. Wouldn't work for everyone but solved my problem!

Mind posting your config? Obviously change any sensitive information :) I'm curious as I am in the process of this w/ my two ISP's and 1 router. I'm using route-map and want to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back