Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multihoming issue - LAN cards will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDRoss

MIS
Sep 27, 2002
IE
With reference to thread779-631277 regarding problems with XP and multi-homing, I am wondering if this problem extends to having no traffic on LAN cards, i.e. no detectable network settings in Windows XP Home edition?

I installed a Linksys wireless LAN card on a Dell Dimension, which already had an Intel Pro Nic built in. The DSL connection to the network was working fine while Intel Pro connected to the DSL modem and was the only NIC in the machine. Once I tried to set up the Linksys with a connection to the DSL modem through an Access Point, things began to go wrong. Returning to the original Ethernet setup, I got the "network cable is disconnected" message. There is no ethernet light either on the DSL modem or the NIC. Testing the NIC with Dell's utility reports it as working fine passing all tests (the light on the NIC is on while the tests are in progress)

I had run the XP wizard for home networking, which is discussed in the above thread. I installed a Realtek LAN card, it installed fully but still there was no traffic from the DSL Modem (no lights, etc.). I did not set any static IPS. I finally used the USB connection to the DSL modem just to get the connection to the Internet working and this is fine, but I can not get anything on ethernet side and I want to setup a Wireless Lan.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to resolve this problem.

Regards

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back